by Kamilah Cummings
As
adults in a range of industries find themselves increasingly overextended with
mounting professional and personal responsibilities, the concept of work-life
balance has garnered renewed interest. For
many, achieving equilibrium between work and life has become a seemingly impossible
task. One often needs to look no further than the man in the mirror to find an
example of this reality. However, work-life imbalance brings with it an increase
in stress (Mayo Clinic Staff) along with a host of related physical
maladies. Awareness of this harrowing fact led me to explore managing the
stress of work-life imbalance in my own life. One way that I began to do this
was to incorporate simple mindfulness practices into my daily routine. As a
result of my positive experiences, I decided to incorporate one of my
mindfulness practices into my classes.
Despite
increased awareness through books, workshops, and even iPad apps, mindfulness
is not a new concept. It is an ancient one that can be found in many Eastern
spiritual and religious traditions from martial arts and yoga to Buddhism (Harris 21). Although many think
of meditation when they hear the term mindfulness, meditation is just one of
many ways to practice mindfulness. “Mindfulness’ can be defined in a variety of
different ways, but they all basically come down to this: paying attention with
flexibility, openness, and curiosity” (Harris 21).
In short, mindfulness is simply being aware in the present moment and paying
attention to one’s feelings.
Researchers
who have studied mindfulness and mental health professionals who incorporate it
into a variety of therapies have learned that mindfulness can alleviate stress
and anxiety by allowing those who practice it to view their experiences from different
perspectives and gain deeper understanding about themselves. As author and
psychotherapist Russ Harris states, “We can use mindfulness to . . . improve
our self-knowledge – to learn more about how we feel, think and react. Considering
that we require our students to do a great deal of reflection in our courses, I
thought that my classes would be a perfect place to introduce students to mindfulness
through the inclusion of an assignment that allowed them to write about their
feelings in the present moment.
As
adult learners, I know that my students have to add academic life to the
work-life balancing act. Because my students usually take my classes in their
first three terms, they are often still managing the stress of returning to
school. Add to that that they are enrolled in a writing course, and the anxiety
rating skyrockets for many of them. Therefore, given my own positive experience
with managing stress and anxiety with a daily mindfulness writing activity, I thought
I would create a simple weekly journal assignment for my students to share the
practice with them. My hope was that they would find it equally beneficial.
I
replaced the normal writing journal prompts that I used to use with what I call
a “Right Now” journal. The assignment gives a brief explanation of the use of
writing as a mindful practice and then requires the student to write a journal
entry that begins with the prompt, “Right now I . . .” . I allow students 10
minutes to write while I play calming instrumental music – usually Reiki, meditation,
or Santana. I also invite students to start the assignment by taking a couple
of deep breaths if they want. I give the same assignment every week.
At first, I was unsure how students would receive the assignment,
so I only used it in a small face-to-face class. I was surprised by how quickly
the students took to the assignment (and the music). Students wrote about everything
from anxiety related to the class and assignments to residual feelings from disagreements
with family and friends, the day at work, and the commute to class. I usually engaged in
the practice along with them. I always gave the option to share their entries
afterward. Sometimes we all shared; sometimes we didn’t. Either way, it was rewarding
to see students using the assignment to navigate present feelings about their
experiences. As the term progressed, they shared how they used the assignment
outside of class at home and at work during stressful situations. They also
stated that starting the evening with the mindfulness assignment helped them to
de-stress and focus more on the class.
In
addition to the benefit of giving students practice writing in general, another
benefit to the “Right Now” journal assignment for me was that it afforded an
opportunity to connect with my students on a different level and to learn more
about them. Because I try to take a holistic approach to teaching, I found the
level of community building that occurred in the class as a result of this
assignment allowed me to better understand, teach, and encourage my students.
As
I previously stated, I wasn’t sure how the introduction of mindfulness via the “Right
Now” assignment would be received by my students, but I am happy that I chose
to use it. I am currently using it in another course, and the students in that
course have reacted to it the same way my previous students did. When the
course ended last term, students said they planned to continue to use the
assignment in their lives. For me, that has been the greatest benefit of incorporating
this assignment in my classes. Learning should be both transformative and
transferrable, and my students’ responses to this simple addition of mindfulness
to my classes reflect this to me.
Works
Cited
Christopher
Germer, Ph.D. "What is Mindfulness?" Insight (2004): 24-29.
Harris, Russ.
"Mindfulness without Meditation ." Healthcare, Counselling and
Psychotherapy Journal (2009): 21-24.
Mayo Clinic
Staff. Work-life balance: Tips to reclaim control. 12 July 2012. 30
April 2015
<http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/in-depth/work-life-balance/art-20048134>.
No comments:
Post a Comment