Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Learning How to Email

The email sits in my box, and I read it multiple times: "What did I miss in class?" There is no subject. There is no signature. The address itself reads cutsienickname124@aol.com. And I am at a loss for what to say because I do not know who sent the message.

It is an email I seem only to receive when I am teaching multiple courses and keeping track of a few dozen students. My knee-jerk response is to send a snarky email. Yet I calm myself and remember that writing email is a genre. If a student has never been taught the rules, then they will not know how to structure a message clearly.

Thankfully, Colorado State University and Loyola University have created tools to help students learn how to email with clarity.

Email (Writing@CSU)

Email Etiquette (Loyola University)

No comments:

Post a Comment