Friday, July 31, 2009

View 2008-2009 Writing Showcase Essays

Visit the Writing Showcase site at http://snl.depaul.edu/writing/WritingShowcase.html to read wonderful essays by SNL students Michaline Siera, Bryan Smith, Janice Loudon Stoner and James G. Sula.

After you enjoy the essays, share them with your students and advisees. These essays provide an anecdote to the sometimes paralyzing preconceptions about academic writing that SNL students bring back to school with them. Recent SNL graduate and Writing Showcase writer Michaline Siera made this very point when sending me her essay: "Reading posted essays on the website encouraged me to take more creative chances by letting myself speak honestly in my writing. I am so happy to be able to hopefully inspire others, as I have been inspired."

As we approach the end of the quarter, remember to encourage your strong writers to submit their essays for the 2009-2010 Writing Showcase. Simply direct them to the Writing Showcase site where they can find the submission application.

No comments:

Post a Comment